Haydn’s Symphony No. 101 was first performed on 3 March 1794 at the Hanover Square Rooms under the direction of Salomon as concertmaster with the composer himself at the fortepiano. The work was an instant success and soon became, and remains to this day, one of Haydn’s most popular symphonies. Somewhat surprisingly, the soubriquet “The Clock”, prompted by the tick-tock accompaniment figure of the Andante, was not attached to the work as a whole until sometime later in the 19th century. However, a stand-alone piano arrangement of the Andante was issued in 1798 by Johann Traeg, Vienna, with the title “Rondo per il Forte piano... Die Uhr”.6 We should remember, also, that Haydn himself had formerly written several short pieces for the musical clocks constructed by the Esterháza librarian, Pater Primitivus Niemecz.